South Gate Church of Christ
Monday, December 11, 2017

 

Our History

 

The Mapleash church of Christ had its beginning in a little store building on Mapleash Avenue on May 10, 1953, with Brother F.H. Curtis speaking. Approximately 50 people were present and the contribution was approximately $150. Earlier in the year, the Riverside congregation (now North View) made the decision to go to Ninth Street and vicinity with the Gospel. Brethren Wayne Ball, Clarence Holman, J.C. Cheek, Howard Maxwell and Jimmy Wilson volunteered to go to do the work. The building was leased to Riverside for 12 months. If interest was sufficient, they would then build. In September of the same year, Clyde Balderson began work as the first regular preacher.

 

First Mapleash Building in 1953

 

In October, 1953, the site of the old Eastside building was purchased from Ulna Huckaby. The congregation name was changed to Eastside church of Christ. Dedication of the new building took place in December, 1954.  Because of continued growth, additional classrooms were added in 1958, and a 500-seat auditorium was dedicated in 1968.  In 2012 a new campus was built on Pulaski Hwy and the Eastside congregation started meeting in the new building in November under the name South Gate.  There have been name changes and structural changes here and there but the purpose and dedication of the people have been unwavering.

 

Second Eastside Building

 

 

Third Eastside Building

 

 

New South Gate campus

 

South Gate is presently overseen by six elders – Richard Farris, Randy Jones, Greg Lusk, Jim Pollard, Dennis Thomason, and Jerry Wilson. In addition, the church is served by fourteen deacons (listed below). Presently, we have approximately 200 families on roll. Our current budget is $8,000 per week.

Ministers, who have worked with this congregation since its beginning, are brethren Clyde Balderson, Mel Dugger, Orlan Miller, Jerry Hill, Arnold Sexton, Thomas Salmons, Danny Lamb, Brown Foster, Jack White, Bill Weaver, Tom Harrison, Elmer Lusk, Kevin White, John Thomas, Joe Macer, Joseph Wells, Cliff Butt, Mark Jamieson, Jody Pritchett,  Brian Gregory and John Thomas.  

 

 

 

Elders

Richard Farris................................797-4699
Randy Jones.................................797-4264
Greg Lusk.....................................446-2472
Jim Pollard...................................334-1358
Dennis Thomason.........................797-2618
Jerry Wilson..................................388-5285
 

 

Deacons

Benevolence / Bus Maintenance
Benny Bolton
 Jason Kelley
 
Working for the Master / Fall Festival
Blake Daniels
 
Visitation / Working for the Master
Nathan Hixson
 
Directory / Member Information / Media
Barry Cross
 
Tweens
 Byran Farris
 
Worship Coordinator / Ushers / Building Maintenance
Ray Rummage
 
Building Maintenance / Missions
Gary Boyd
 
Activities Coordinator
Mike Lyle
 
Building Project Manager
John Massey 
 
Treasurer/Missions
David Thomas
 
Involvement
Jerry Ballard
 
Primetimers
Blair Keeling
 
 
Education Director / Youth for Christ / Bible Bowl
Trent Hill
 
 
 

 

 

Ministers

 
Minister: John Thomas
 
 
 
 
 
 
Associate Minister:  Joe Macer
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Youth / Family Minister:  Jody Pritchett